The governmental Computer Emergency Response Team of Ukraine CERT-UA, which operates under the State Special Communications Service, has responded to 200 targeted cyberattacks against Ukrainian institutions and companies since the beginning of 2022.
For the most part, the implementation of the malicious plan was prevented. This was stated during the international conference “Cyber Resilience in the Modern World. Ukraine’s Experience”, which is taking place in Warsaw (Poland), was announced by Yevheniia Nakonechna, Head of the Governmental Computer Emergency Response Team of Ukraine CERT-UA:
“The number of cyber incidents that our team has been handling since the beginning of the full-scale invasion has increased significantly and almost doubled. This intensity is not decreasing.”
According to her, ministries, government agencies, critical infrastructure, including the energy sector, IT companies, and telecommunications providers are most often targeted by such cyberattacks. The attackers aim to conduct intelligence operations, long-term espionage, and destroy data and information systems. The implementation of CERT-UA recommendations by the targets of such attacks plays a major role in countering cyberattacks.
🧐 The head of CERT-UA has identified five key factors that allow the government team to successfully combat cyber threats:
- the fruitful and dedicated work of a team of experienced professionals;
- cooperation with the best security companies and the ability to use modern technologies;
- development and operation of in-house technical solutions;
- effective interaction with telecommunication operators and providers and their cooperation in improving cybersecurity;
- effective interaction with the key cybersecurity entities of Ukraine, including the SSU, the Cyber Police, the NBU, and the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
📢 As a reminder, the Governmental Computer Emergency Response Team of Ukraine has prepared cybersecurity recommendations, which will help strengthen the security of systems and networks and allow to effectively counter cyber threats.