Samsung’s Galaxy S24 series of smartphones has a set of AI-based features that promise to improve the user experience. Although these features are exclusive to new phones, there is good news for owners of older flagships.
In an interview with TechRadar, Patrick Chomet, Head of Customer Experience at Samsung, confirmed that some flagship devices in 2023 will receive new Galaxy AI features.
The list of devices includes Galaxy S23, S23 FE, Z Fold 5, Z Flip 5, and Tab S9. They will receive new AI features via the One UI 6.1 update in the first half of 2024.
A surprising exception is the company’s 2022 devices, including the Galaxy S22 series, despite the fact that they are eligible for the One UI 6.1 update. Samsung continues to remain silent about the reason for this omission.
However, when asked, Chomet simply stated that they are “for now” “limiting” the initial rollout to the latest generation devices. This leaves S22 owners in limbo, as they are unsure if they will eventually be able to unlock the full potential of their devices.
Adding to the confusion is the fact that the Galaxy S23 FE, which features the same chipset as the S22 in some regions, is also included in the rollout program. While it’s possible that S22 owners will eventually get Galaxy AI, Samsung hasn’t provided any specific timeline or guarantees.
Here’s a quick overview of Galaxy AI features coming to other Galaxy devices:
- Circle search: Draw a circle with your finger around an object or text on the screen to instantly learn more about it.
- Live translation: Translate spoken and written content in real time, both online and offline. Communicate with people in different languages, understand signs and menus abroad, and translate documents on the go.
- Chat Assistant: Translate messages automatically during a chat without having to switch between languages.
- Notes Assistant: Summarize and organize your notes to make them easier to review and find what you need.
- Voice Recorder Assistant: Turn your voice recordings into text with speaker identification. Get transcripts, translate recordings, and even summarize key points.